Many of you read my article on how to come to Japan without a degree, but even if you are not eligible, you can try for a working holiday visa, which is a gateway to a longer term stay.

Before you go on, please remember that I am not a professional, but just a guy who got lucky with his visa and trying to help others, so the information below might lack something you are looking for. If you are looking for something you can’t find, feel free to drop me a mention or DM on my Instagram¬†although you might not get a reply.

First of all, if you prefer someone to talk to directly, the best way is to visit your local Japanese embassy for advice.

Without further ado, here are the criterias you need to make sure you meet to apply

Your Nationality

Countries that Japan accepts working holiday application from as below (you need to current reside in these countries too)

This used to be an ad, but noone likes ads. So, I decided to remove them completely from my site. I spend hours and hours researching, testing and writing about each product, so it would mean the world to me if you lend me your support by becoming a Patreon. Every dollar helps.

  • Australia
  • Argentina
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Hong Kong (must possess a valid HKSAR or British National Overseas passport)
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Poland
  • the United Kingdom
  • Slovakia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Taiwan (must possess a valid passport of Taiwan)

Your Age

  • 18-30 years old
  • For¬†Australia, Canada and Republic of Korea, 18-25 years old. (There are some cases where you will be allowed if a Japanese authority agree to extend the limit to 30 years old.


  • Your wife or kids cannot come with you.
  • Possessing a valid passport of his or her country.
  • Have return travel ticket or sufficient funds with which to purchase one.
  • Possessing reasonable funds for the maintenance of his/her stay during the initial period of stay in Japan.
  • Being in good health.
  • Intend primarily to stay in Japan for a specific length of time.
  • Never having been issued a Japanese working holiday visa in the past.


There you go. Once you know you are eligible, there are different procedures for different countries so be sure to check with your local embassy on what you need to submit. I hope to see you here soon!

Tagged ,